Middle school can be a difficult time of adjustment. Stuck between being a child and a teen, it's easy for a middle school student to have trouble making the transition.
SMCC staff are on-site at Martin Luther King Junior Middle School to help them in this transition. We have programs to support them socially, emotionally, and academically.
SMCC staff conduct individual counseling sessions with students.
These sessions may focus on issues that are preventing the student from being more successful and happy at school. Issues that the counselor might discuss include:
- Stress at home
- Trauma the child may have experienced
- Grief over the loss of a family member
- Learning how to express their feelings
Small Group Counseling
SMCC organizes small group sessions for students who share common issues. Groups might be centered around:
- Making friends
- Learning new social skills
- Dealing with conflict at school
SMCC can arrange:
- Academic tutoring
- Evaluation and identification of any learning issues